Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday's Meals--Crockpot Squash Soup

Last week I made a super easy Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup.
I liked the way it tasted, but it was even better because of how easy it was to throw together!  (*except one minor problem---see below)

The only changes I made were I used Reduced Fat Cream Cheese and replaced marjoram with an Italian Seasoning blend simply because that's what I had handy, and thought it tasted just fine!  Next time I make it I'll defiantly add some broccoli and maybe some other veggies.  It tasted pretty cheesy so I think it will be a good change from your normal Broccoli and Cheese soup


{photo}

2
tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2
cup chopped onion
1
(2-lb.) butternut squash, peeled, cubed
2
cups water
1/2
teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/4
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/8
teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
4
chicken-flavor bouillon cubes
1
(8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cubed
DIRECTIONS
  • Melt margarine in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
  • In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, combine onion and all remaining ingredients except cream cheese; mix well.
  • Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
  • About 40 minutes before serving, place about 1/3 of mixture at a time into blender container or food processor bowl with metal blade. Cover; blend or process on high speed until smooth. Return mixture to slow cooker.
  • Stir in cream cheese. Cover; cook on low setting an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring with wire whisk until smooth





* I decided to get ahead of the ballgame last week and chop up the butternut squash after my Monday night class (~9:00pm).  Apparently I was unaware that butternut squash peelings would (read: WILL) clog your garbage disposal.  After a 45 minute phone conference with my Dad discussing plunging, pressure, clogging, water levels, pipes, buckets, 'gunk', etc, I STILL couldn't get it fixed--despite our best efforts.  The nice handyman came to our house the next afternoon and all was well with the world.
Note to self: squash peelings are not made for a garbage disposal!!!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this today - It turned out wonderful! Everyone loved it. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Babbling Beebe | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012